Where Are They Now? — Tiffany Moss (Singer)

Despite being on the reunion committee, I've been mentally wracking my brain trying to find an "out" for the past few weeks. Yes, I here openly confess that all the memories of awkwardness that accompanied my high school years have revisited me. However, the day I meant to email Traci Blair and proffer my excuses, I ran into her and Jim up Rock Canyon and was convinced I "had to come." (Which, incidentally, is how I ended up on the reunion committee in the first place. And I should also mention here how much I love Traci and Jim, 'cause I wouldn't have agree to help anyone else!) I realized, and have come to embrace, the fact that there is no way I'm getting out of coming. So, since I am a woman of my word, and to alleviate my guilty conscious for being a rather lame committee member, I am now writing my bio.

I must admit, since graduating, I really haven't given a whole lot of thought to my high school years as far as actual high school life was concerned. I didn't play organized sports, I wasn't a cheerleader (although I did try out my freshman year, which fact has given my husband plenty of fodder for ridicule and makes me chuckle as well), I didn't write for the newspaper, wasn't in student government, only went to maybe three dances my entire four years, etc., etc. In fact, sitting in on the committee meetings I realized why I never reflect back on high school life with longing: I really wasn't involved in high school much beyond showing up for class. I did love learning, however. Provo High had some great teachers who I still think about today. I am infinitely grateful that they instilled in me their love for their subjects, most noteably Mr. Webb and Ms. Nelson. I still pull out my bird book and try to identify birds I see when I hike and I still read (and write) poetry. Oh, and I should add Mr. Burnah. The French language is still a huge passion of mine. My husband and I try to get to BYU and watch International Cinema whenever they show something French.

Okay, so moving right along to the past 20 years. At the end of my senior year, I thought my dreams of getting out of Provo and heading to the East Coast were being realized as I was accepted and heading to Hollins College in Virginia that fall. That summer, they reviewed my financial aid and rejected it. My father said "so sad, no dice" and so my neighbor, who was the dean of admissions for BYU, convinced me that BYU was a fabulous undergrad school and persuaded me not to attend the U (the only other school to which I had applied and been accepted). My neighbor got on the computer and put me in some classes and I wound up just across the street from PHS that fall in a colloquium with Traci Hall, Jenny Gordon and Kim Gamette. I ended up loving it there in the end. After a few years, I dropped out, moved to SLC and worked for awhile. Then came back to BYU following a boy I had met my freshman year who was returning from his mission. I dated him some more and then decided to serve an LDS mission myself. I went to Belgium Brussells where I got to put my many years of French study to good use. Going on a mission ended up being pivital to the rest of my life as this is when I think I truly found my own voice, lost most of my inhibitions and reservations in reaching out to people and speaking up, explored what I really believe about the nature of existence, and of course, met and later married my zone leader.

Truth be told, the first several years of marriage and motherhood were extremely difficult. I had a hard time adjusting to both and struggled for a very long time with debilhatating depression. Family life just wasn't at all what I thought it was going to be. I had a rather unrealistic, rosy expectation and real life was something compeltely different. I pretty much kept to myself for many years and let almost all of my friendships go. Mercifully, I managed to hang on and come out on the other side. I wouldn't trade the journey I took to get where I am for anything, but it was very hard being in the middle of it. I know I've read that same sentiment on many of the bios on this site and so I guess I'm just adding my agreement. I am who I am because of the experiences I've been through and the things they have taught me. So, 20 years later I am happy to report that I am the mother of four children (Addie-13, Christian-11, Avery-9 and Isabella-6) and the wife of Daniel Singer from Thousand Oaks, California. For the most part, I've been a stay-at-home mom for the past 13 years. Although, I did go back to BYU in 2003 to finish up my undergraduate degree. For those of you who remember Kerry Soper, you'll perhaps find it amusing that he ended up being one of my professors. I finally graduated with a bachelor's degree from BYU in Humanities and French in 2006.

We have lived in Springville for the past nine years and beyond being a wife and mother, I currently help my husband run a stationery company which we've been working at for several years. We're finally seeing success after much blood, sweat and tears and so that is a happy thing. For those of you who remember Dave Jones, he has been helping us in this endevour. Dave and I became joined at the hip our junior year as we had something like 6 of our 8 classes together and have been good friends ever since.

Well, I will be at the reunion and should any of you be struggling with those haunting high school memories of being ill-at-ease upon arrival, come visit me in the corner!

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Tiffany - Wow! I am so impressed with what you have done. I remember that you were a little reserved but that when you put yourself out there I was so impressed with how eloquent you were. You just had a way of putting things that was so unique from others and it made your point of view that much more interesting to me. It sounds like you haven't changed in that aspect, as I was reading your blog I could just hear your tone of voice. I so agree with you about not changing your past experiences but MAN! were they tough, huh? I will certainly look for you in a few short weeks!
Anonymous said…
It was so great to read your honesty about your past 20 yrs. Depression affects more of us than I think we want to admit. It's wonderful you finished your Bachelor's degree. It's funny, I didn't realize you felt that way about being in high school. It always seemed you were so happy to be there, I didn't do much but attend school either.
Anonymous said…
Tiffany,
Your openness and honesty are so refreshing. I applaud your determination and willingness to put yourself forward. I'll definitely come talk to you at the reunion.
Heath Thompson said…
Tiffany,
You probably don't remember me very well, but I sure thought the world of you in High School. Glad to hear you're doing great!
Heath
Michelle S. said…
Tiffany I always admired you in high school and I loved that you were so fun to talk to! It sounds like you still are!

Thanks for all your help with the reunion! I am hopeful to make it to the picnic but won't make the dinner.

~Michelle Throckmorton (Schafer)
Anonymous said…
Hi Tiffany!
It was so good to read your post & see what you've been up to! I still remember inviting myself to your birthday party & not seeing anything wrong with that...ah 5th grade :)
And then there were all of the evil plots we had to break up Guy & Brenda, ha ha! Good times!
I will try to find your corner so we can catch up!
Erica Jarman Jenks
Margaret said…
Tiffany, Tiffany, Tiffany,
Just seeing your photo brings back a flood of memories of our cat dissection test "all-nighter" complete with nacho cheese from the can and prailines and cream ice cream (which I vomited up during the test the next day). Those were the good 'ol days in the science wing! And then there was the jar of frogs we (well, Dave) accidently "cooked" on our fieldtrip to Southern Utah. It was nice read what you have been up to. Margaret Slingerland Jeffries

Popular Posts