Where Are They Now? — Peter Uluave


Hey seniors, what’s your number!!?!: Eighty-Eight! Eighty-Eight! Eighty-Eighty-Eighty-Eight!!

It has been great to read about you and your families. So many memories storm through as you remember the last time you spent with a childhood friend. Each of your reports creates emotion in my heart as I think “Good for you”. I have been slightly unaccounted for these last 20 years and would love to share my experiences. Provo High has been a large part of my family’s life. Nine Uluave children attended PHS from 1976-1996. Our Family’s collective experience (Athletes, Cheerleaders, Prom queens, Debaters, Student body presidents, Ball room Dancers …) at Provo High has been a tremendous joy and a foundation for many of our life successes. We were all blessed to be part of a great organization.

In the fall of 1988, after concluding my maximum effort to just graduate from PHS, I was accepted to BYU- Hawaii. It was a perfect place for young, undisciplined, PHS graduate. After 2 semesters, I had a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0 and on academic probation. I needed to make plans. My high paying job at the Polynesian Culture Center ($4.15 per hour) was not going to meet my long term goals. But did I ever have a good time! I was approached by a young, strong willed man dressed in green. He had a solution to my financial woes. If I would just sign the paper, my new Uncle Sam would pay for school. Next thing I know I’m on a bus headed far away from any rational life form and everyone that works there is screaming at me. I’m thinking “What the Hell is your problem”. I completed my training at Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio Texas in 1990. I was trained as a Combat Medic and assigned to a Utah National Guard Hospital Unit. I was extremely excited to be out of full time U.S. Army training. I now had a new military obligation of one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer. It seemed more reasonable (yea right).

Upon my return from Texas, I met a wonderful, exciting woman. In Classic, cheesy pick up line, I invited her to a party where the only other invite was me (Yea Boy!). My plans to marry her became accelerated due to the 1990 Iraq invasion of Kuwait. Rebecca Glover and I were married Nov.21, 1990 and I was deployed to Operation Desert Storm Nov. 24, 1990. I was like, “Hold on; I just signed up for the one weekend a month gig”. Off to war I went. My experience with war was drastically different then our countries current experience. I was more like “M*A*S*H” and less like “Apocalypse Now”. Please always remember in your prayers, our service people who protect our way of life.

At the conclusion of my War experience I returned home and resumed my academic and family plans. The progression of a combat medic in the U.S. Army was Nursing school. I never saw myself as going to my PHS guidance counselor and asking how I get into Nursing School. I graduated from Utah Valley State College AD Nursing program and continued at the University of Utah, completing a BS in Nursing. It turned out to be just right for me. I took a Job at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. By extreme luck, I found myself in a position of being part of the creation of an Electrophysiology Lab (Heart Arrhythmias). Many therapies related to RF Ablation were created and perfected at UVRMC. My association with a brilliant, young MD allowed many opportunities to see and do things that were exciting in medicine. Along the way, Rebecca and I had four Children, Maraia (17), Kalin (15), Seth (13) and Sarah (10). They are tremendous children, strong, focused and convicted.

In the spring of 2003 my life was drastically altered. After an accident when Rebecca was home alone, she suffered from 2nd and 3rd degree burns over 35% of her body. She spent 29 days in the burn unit at the University of Utah. After multiple surgical grafts and extensive treatments she returned home. Ten days later, on a Saturday afternoon, I was returning from my son’s baseball game, Rebecca’s life came to an unexpected end. She had accidentally overdosed on pain medication. A whirlwind of events soon followed. The experience has changed me forever. It is in the deepest, darkest moments of our lives that define who we are, where we are from, and where are we going. I appreciated many of you and your family’s shared concern and prayers. Thank you.

For the next four years my children and I really grew close. As the single parent of four I learned the tremendous art of domestic affairs. I learned how to be Mother and Father. It is an awesome experience. Our family had gained so many testimonies of truth and faith. If it is required to know the bitter so you can appreciate the sweet, my relationship with my children is sweet. We are good friends.

I met a magnificent woman from Portland Oregon. She had been divorced for three years and was enrolled at UVSC nursing program. A common friend set us up. The first time I saw her; I looked her in the eyes and said “I have missed you”. We dated for a year and a half, and Connie Bleak and I were married in the Jordan River Temple May 3, 2007. It has been fantastic. We enjoyed our 1st anniversary and look forward to many more. Connie is working at Jordan Valley Hospital, Labor and Delivery, and loves it.

With our marriage our family increased by 2, for the grand total of 8 with 6 children: Maraia (17), Kalin (15), Seth (13), Sarah (10), Alec (9) and Alyssa (8). We moved to South Jordan (Daybreak) because it is fantastic out here. It reminds me of Provo 30 years ago. There are kids everywhere. Our ward has split three times in two years and will split again this winter. We are 5 blocks NW from the new temple in a very well planned community. I figured with so many kids its perfect for us. Four of our kids play ball (softball, football, basketball, baseball) and 2 are drama queens. Connie and I spend all of our weekend time at every AAU, High school and super league tournament from Denver to Las Vegas. We got some “Ballers” in the group. I now know why we had all those crazy parents supporting our athletics. It is 100 times worse in the Bingham High program, where its state or bust.

I continued to work in the Electrophysiology field. I have worked at three different hospitals in Utah. I decided after 11 years I did not want to work anymore late nights, on call or weekends. I was missing ball games and never sleeping. I started a consulting business. I was amazed that people would pay me to share experiences that would help there Electrophysiology program run better. I travel a little, make close to the same money, but most important I make all ball games and Date Night.

The Beautiful, fulfilling thing about a 20 year reunion is we all have a story. The events of our lives have created who we are. It is awesome to see all the great families we have. I look forward to seeing everyone. I hope to see everyone report on the website. That way when we all show up, you have been briefed. May god bless you and everything that is important to you. And since I have a house full of teenagers, the conversation ends with “Dad, that’s the way I roll” followed by “peace out”, chest pounding included.

Most Embarrassing/Funny Moment from High School

I was ticketed for driving my mom’s car on the front lawn at PHS my junior year.

Most Memorable Moment of Your Senior Year

It was not in my senior year, it was in 7th grade at Dixon Jr. High when the most influential campaign slogan was ever stated “Don’t be a PUNK vote for STRUNK”. If you were there, you never forgot it. It is possible that the Democratic Party needs representation in Utah.

Most Influential Person in High School (student, teacher, etc.)

My sisters, Nani (class of 85), Luana (class of 87) and Maile (class of 90) who always have been great examples class and success.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Peter, it sounds like you've lived a life full enough for several life times,(you could write a book). You definately have your hands full with such a large family, but you've got to be used to it growing up in a huge family. I think my old man runs into your dad frequently. I'm glad things are going well for you, hope to see you at the reunion.
Anonymous said…
I was so sad to read about your loss. I am glad you were able to meet such a wonderful woman to share the rest of your life with. Your kids sound wonderful. I would also like to thank you for serving our country!
Anonymous said…
Pete,
Good to see your post. I cant believe you remember my slogan. Look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.
Strunk
Unknown said…
Hi Peter - HOLY COW! What amazing and fascinating experiences you have had! I too want to thank you for your service to our country. As someone preparing to go in to the Navy I can see what a change in life that can be. I have nothing but good memories of you, your easy going manner and your great sense of humor. Your family is beautiful! It will be great to see you.
Michelle S. said…
Peter! It was so good to see your post and pictures! What an awesome family! I love that you are so close to your sisters. They really are wonderful. I hope that my kids will be as tight when they are grown.

I too want to thank you for your service to us and to our country. I am very grateful. Thank you.
EJ Lundquist said…
Peter,

Wow, your time in medicine has really improved your ability to write. Let me know when your first book comes out. Seriously, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your account. I can echo your comments about praying for our service members. There is an amazing respect and admiration that comes into our hearts when we serve our country and our servicemembers when in harms way.

Congrats on a great family and it is great to see and hear about what's been going on in your life. I look forward to swapping "war stories" at the reunion.

Erik
Anonymous said…
Hey Pete-
So glad to hear that you are doing so well. It was so nice to see you that day in the hospital when my grandfather was in surgery. You looked great, and so happy. Life has delivered you some rough blows, but it's great to see that you've moved on, and are living life to the fullest!
Julie Merrell
Anonymous said…
Peter,

Wow, I was just made aware of this site and your post brought back a ton of memories and emotions!

You are a wonderful writer with a beautiful family and story to tell. I wish I could make it to the reunion to catch up with everyone! You have inspired me to post something and get back in touch again.

Thanks, say hello to Luana for me as well.

Stacey (Hill) Loyd
Clark Bayles said…
Hey Pete, Tiffani told me about your tragedy when it happened. I cant say I know exactly how you feel but I know about that "darkest hour" thing. I am glad you have found love again. it is an amazing thing that we can love two people so much but it is still new and different with each. hope all is well.
take care
Clark
Anonymous said…
Peter, Peter, Peter,
I was so glad to see that you posted. OH our old neighborhood will never be the same without us. You are right there are just to many memories to write them all down. You and Jason were the biggest trouble makers (Just Kiddin) I was so sad to hear about all your hard times. I was praying for you when it was all happening. It seems like you have become a better man and father through it all. Your new wife is beautiful and your kids are darling. I appreciate all your sacrifices to our country. I know first hand how it truley is a sacrifice. I hope to see you soon....Sharmel
Anonymous said…
Peter,

My dad wanted me to thank you for taking care of him when he was in the hospital. I remember the Franklin Elementary days, especially the evil 'Fab 5', which I wasn't a part of. I actally just got a copy of the Snow White performance with you as Dopy. I will see if I can throw it on a DVD and bring it to the reunion. Eric Orozco was also a dwarf, so maybe I will get a couple of copies. Good to see things are going better for you and you look like you have a great family!
Anonymous said…
Pete
Our personalities have always clashed, your story changed my illusion of who you are. Even I have to admit at one point i was on the edge of my seat, and then gasp. Beautiful prose! Truly write something and publish it, editorials, a short story, anything in your passions realm.
Daybreak huh, I had a home down on Harvest Rain (near splash park) until the divorce (its mine again in 2019), I would guess your doing well, that home has nearly doubled its value. Great area, free fishing, boating, and gym membership.
Jeffrey Phillips
Chance's Mom said…
Peter,

You post is so heartfelt and I am glad to hear that you were able to find happiness again.

Taunya Woffinden Paxton
Anonymous said…
Pete,
Its so good to hear you are doing well. You have an awesome looking family.

Popular Posts