Where Are They Now? — Guy Francis


Go Bulldogs! Andy Andrus asked if I could help with some art for this website and I just didn't have the time. Sorry Andy. I quickly painted this today. Maybe that'll make up for me being a lame dweeb.

So, here goes. After graduation I served a mission in the North Carolina Raleigh mission. Loads of fun. Lasted about 2 years. I got home and married Lorien Young (class of '90). We both attended BYU for a while. I started working for Waterford Institute illustrating and animating their educational software. Then I got an illustration rep and now I freelance from my studio in my home. Most of my illustration work is for the children's market (picture books, chapter books, magazines, etc.) with the occasional editorial (Wall Street Journal) or advertising piece.

Lorien and I have 4 kids: Calvin (13), Samantha (10), Madeline (7), and Max (5). We lived in our first home in downtown Provo for 5 years, and now live on Grandview Hill in the same neighborhood I grew up in.

Today I'm an overweight balding guy who gets to sit around all day and draw pictures. Sounds sweet except that it seems like it is all I do sometimes. Actually it's pretty great. My studio is in my home, so I get to be around my kids all day, good and bad. My commute is very short--only two short connecting flights (of stairs).

You can see my work on my website if you're interested. http://www.guyfrancis.com/.

Have an awesome summer. Stay cool.

Guy


Comments

Anonymous said…
Guy your kids are beautiful. Your art work is amazing. It would be wonderful to have your talent.
Guy

Please tell your wife hi for me we lived in the same neighborhood for years.

Lori Hayes Hartley
Anonymous said…
FINALLY!! Thanks for sitting by us at the reunion, it was great to see you & Lorien again - we had a great time & I'm jealous that you get to live in my old stompin' grounds. If I couldn't live here, I would love to be back there.

Erica Jenks
Anonymous said…
Guy, I was reading a book from the library with my 6-year-old daughter the other day and right there on the cover... "Illustrator: Guy Francis". I told her I went to school with a kid with that same name. She said "Wow, 2 people with that same name!" You better find the guy who's impersonating you.
Unknown said…
Hi Guy - I am blown away! I just checked out your website and it's AMAZING!! I knew about your talent in high school but it's incredible to me that you can draw in so many different styles. I would never guess that all of your books were done by the same person because they all look so different. Do they give you free reign or do you meet with the author and decide what kind of drawings will be done? Have you ever done any animation? WOW, my friend, you are awesome! By the way, it was good to see you at the reunion. Hopefully we'll see you in 5 and not 10 years. =D

Popular Posts